Kristi O’Meara has teamed up with Skillshare to bring us an online class dedicated to pattern design. The course is called ‘Pattern Design: Creating Repeat Patterns From Your Illustrations & Paintings’ and the syllabus looks very promising.
Kristi is a freelance illustrator and designer, living in Chicago, Illinois. She’s the founder and creative director of the Patternbase blog where you can find some amazing surface design inspiration. Her first book, ‘PatternBase: A Collection of Contemporary Textile + Surface Design’, is planned to be released this summer (and some of my designs will be featured in it!)
You’ll need Adobe Photoshop (or a free 30-day trial available from Adobe), drawing paper, drawing implements, ruler, Exacto knife, clear tape, access to a printer + scanner and a surface to cut upon.
This class is for pattern designers, graphic designers, illustrators, artists, crafters and anyone else who is interested in pattern design using hand-drawn techniques and Adobe Photoshop. – Kristi O’Meara
During ‘Pattern Design: Creating Repeat Patterns From Your Illustrations & Paintings’ you’ll learn:
- The Manual Repeat Technique. How to prepare a hand-drawn illustration or painting for digital repeat.
- Digital Repeat Technique. How to turn a hand-drawn illustration or painting into a digitally repeating pattern using Adobe Photoshop.
- Using Photoshop Layers to Create Multiple Colorways. How to use layers in Adobe Photoshop to create multiple colourways for designs.
- Applying Completed Repeat Patterns To Product Templates. How to apply completed repeat patterns to product templates for mockups.
- The Importance of File Types, Color Modes, and Resolution. The difference between files types, resolutions, and colour modes, and the importance of saving files under the correct settings for different uses.
If you’re not a Skillshare member you can get a 2-month FREE trial by clicking on the button below, and then use it to do this class and any others you manage to fit in that time (woohoo!).